Name resolution for Netview for NT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Name resolution for Netview for NT
From: lclark@us.ibm.com
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 23:12:42 -0400

I found a customer where there is no name resolution whatever for their
NT servers, it seems they do everything by IP address and Novell clients.
So the prospective server, which is running as a production fileserver,
cannot even resolve its own name. A vendor set these up for them.

I expected that if I put its name in winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts, that
it would be able to resolve its own name, at any rate. Hostname returns
the computer name, and that is in the hosts file, but I cannot ping that
name.  And ovspmd won't start, apparently on account of that.

Any NT experts with ideas? (I'm not one either!)

Detroit