Re: To exit netview gracefully as a Netview end user ( not root).

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: To exit netview gracefully as a Netview end user ( not root).
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:00:40 -0400
I don't know which of us is more confused here, you or I.  Let me try to
elaborate on what puzzles me and perhaps I will answer your questions in
the process or at lest allow you to clarify them.   Perhaps if you told us
(me) more exactly what your applications are trying to do, or how they
work, this would be easier.

(1). "ovw" is the overall map GUI.  In actuality, the ovw command starts a
process called ovw_binary and goes away. ovw_binary is the NetView GUI
itself.  It is all started with the "netview" command, which makes sure the
environment is correct before calling ovw.  If your application is not
doing an OVwInit, then why would you need to kill an ovw process?  That
means it has no connection to the map.  Presumably you did not start one.
So why should you kill it?  Normally, it is ovw which starts the
application via a registration file.  Then the application just exits and
doesn't worry about ovw.     The paradigm here is that he user starts ovw
when he or she is ready, using the "netview" command, and determines when
to bring it down the same way, with File -- Exit or the exit hot key.
There is no automatic closure mechanism, and in fact, it normally pauses
for confirmation on the way down, and to let  all its subordinate apps
close first. You can kill an ovw_binary process but that may leave such
apps as ipmap and collmap, which are started by ovw, out there hanging.
They should go away in time, but what you are doing here still doesn't make
any sense so far.

(2) f.exit is not available as a programming interface.  In the ovw
registration file this just provides a way to designate a hot key to close
the window.

(3) "ovstatus" can only be used for daemons, background processes, which
have no connection to the ovw GUI.  They have to be started by ovspmd and
defined in the ovsuf file (you do ovaddobj to get then there after creating
an lrf file).  Such processes run independently of any GUI.  Exiting a map
has no effect on them.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT