Re: Hostname Resolution

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Hostname Resolution
From: "Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:06:12 -0400
No, nslookup will not go back and check /etc/hosts. That is DNS only. The
'host' command will check both sources, in the order defined in
/etc/netsvc.conf
(if on AIX). I would fiddle with that to control the test environment. For
example:
/etc/netsvc.conf contains:   hosts=local,bind
means first the /etc/hosts file, then dns - all servers
/etc/netsvc.conf contains: hosts=local
means only chech the hosts file, and ignore DNS even if /etc/resolv.conf
exists
/etc/netsvc.conf contains: hosts=bind
means ignore the hosts file.
Then you can just use the 'host' command to test with.

Take care with this. If you inadvertently cause the name of your server to
change
(eg it is not the same in both places, in all directions), you will have
trouble with
Framework and Netview.

Other operating systems have ways to switch this order, I just don't know
what
they are. The sysadmin will, if you have one.

Also, there was a really exciting set of postings on the cost of very large
/etc/hosts files right on this listserver around June 15th. Go to the
archives
at www.tkg.com/nv-l and check them out.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

William.Stringfellow@bankofamerica.com@tkg.com on 10/13/2000 06:11:14 PM