Hostname Resolution

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Hostname Resolution
From: William.Stringfellow@bankofamerica.com
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 15:11:14 -0700

We are looking at whether or not using /etc/hosts for name resolution is
impacting performance.  We currently have >33K interfaces in our host file.
     I only find reference to hostname resolution in the NetView Release Notes,
section 9.9.  In that section it states "If no nameserver is used, then the
resolve subroutines use the /etc/hosts file for network address resolution.".
     It than recommends that you do an nslookup to check repsonse time.  Since I
am using /etc/hosts I get:

<root@nv6ksfo03:/etc> nslookup nv6ksfo03
Server:  nv6ksfo03
Address:  0.0.0.0

*** nv6ksfo03 can't find nv6ksfo03:No response from server

     And the server just sits there until it times out.  The hostname used is in
the /etc/hosts file, and no it doesn't matter that I am looking up the NetView
box on itself, it's still in the hostfile and the results don't change if I look
for another device.

Questions:

1.  Should the nslookup work using /etc/hosts, or is /etc/hosts only used by
NetView for it's internal routines?

2.  If this process doesn't work using /etc/hosts, how can I compare performance
between using it and using a name server?

     Looking forward to the response,
          Bill Stringfellow
          Bank of America Network Management Systems Group
          Concord, CA