White color symbol and unreachable status

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: White color symbol and unreachable status
From: lewarren@au1.ibm.com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:32:21 +1100
Sorry to send the same message again....  some of the previous one didn't
seem to make sense, anyway here goes.

I hope someone can assist,

I am currently looking to install NetView 6.0, then upgrade to Netview
6.01on a customer account (after testing naturally).

In our current environment we are running NetView 5.1, Nways 2.1 and Tivoli
Manager for Network Connectivity (TFNC) 1.1 on a dedicated AIX box v4.3.3
(two procs & 2.5Gb memory)

My questions...
I read an obscure reference on Tivoli's customer site that states that TFNC
has not been tested therefore is not recommended nor supported under
NetView 6.x
Does this mean that the reference in the manual to "Tivoli for Managed
Network Services" is the replacement for TFNC? and if so, or if not, where
do I find out about it as I cannot find a referenced to it on Tivoli's
site.

Also they talk about the "White Symbol Color and Unreachable Status" which
they say is used by "Tivoli for Managed Network Services".
Is this "White Color" & "Unreachable Status" also used by, or have anything
to do with "The Router Fault Isolation" feature (also known as Event
Suppression)

In relation to the "new" status color of white does that also mean that
NetView will not forward any messages from other devices say below a Hub or
switch that has turned white (unreachable) or is it only wishfull thinking?

Many thanks

Regards

Leigh WARREN
Tivoli Support - CTSG NWS
IBM Global Services Australia
Phone: +61 3 9627 0271
Mobile: +61 413 722 846
Email: lewarren@au1.ibm.com

The greatest moments of sheer brilliance usually occur in the presence of
absolute stupidity