Re: Unable to stop PMD

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Unable to stop PMD
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:14:31 -0500
Ray -
What operating system?  What elv of NetView?
 enerally if a daemon does not respond to kill, then it is doing some
kernal operation which the OS has protected and will not let be
interrupted.  Often this points to some kind of kernal problem that only
new maintenance to the OS on the box in question will fix, so it is no easy
question to answer what to do. Typically, in that kind of a situation, a
reboot is your only choice.    But kill -1 is not a very severe kill.  If
you really want to stop a process you should be doing something like kill
-9.

My advice is that you contact NetView Support and get a debug tool
appropriate to your OS, variously called "dbxprof" or "gdbprof" by us,
Then if pmd hangs again, you may be able to run this tool and get a trace
of what it is doing.    Of course, the kernal may not let you attach to the
runaway process either, in which case, only the OS vendor can help.  You
may have to get them involved.   But I don't think you are at that point
yet.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT