Re: Installing Agent

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Installing Agent
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 11:36:28 -0500
By the NV agent, do you mean trapgend?   I have a summary of how that
install proceeds as follows:

Summary of how trapgend installs

On the remote node
1. create the following
directories

/usr/OV
/usr/OV/bin
/usr/OV/log
/usr/OV/sockets
/usr/OV/pids
/usr/OV/lrf

2. and give them these
permissions
 chmod 755 /usr/OV
 chmod 755 /usr/OV/bin
 chmod 777 /usr/OV/log
 chmod 777 /usr/OV/sockets
 chmod 755 /usr/OV/pids
 chmod 755 /usr/OV/lrf

3. ftp these files in binary
 put  /usr/OV/bin/nv6000_subagent
 put /usr/OV/bin/trap-notify
 put /usr/OV/bin/trap-notify.add
 put /usr/OV/lrf/trapgend.lrf
 put /usr/OV/bin/trapgend

4. do checksum against each binary on the host and then again on
the   remote node to verify ftp was good

5. execute
 odmadd usr/OV/bin/trap-notify.add

6. chmod 555 /usr/OV/bin/nv6000_subagent
6. edit /etc/snmpd.conf  and add this, where aa.bb.cc.dd is the IP
address of the NetView box to where the traps should be sent

trap          public         aa.bb.cc.dd    1.2.3     fe   #
loopback

smux      1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.4.1   nv6000  # NetView for AIX: trapgend

7. edit
/etc/snmpd.peers

 trapgend  1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.4.1    nv6000  # NetView for AIX: trapgend

8. restart snmpd
 stopsrc -s snmpd
 startsrc -s snmpd

  9. edit  /etc/rc.tcpip
add

   nv6000_subagent trapgend x start

to it

9. Enter
nv6000_subagent trapgend x start
and see if it starts

10.  You should see a coldstart trap in the NetView events window
     or trapd.log

11. Enter
errupdate
       = AA8AB241: