RE: Re: snmpCollect counter wrapping (was Better Graphing tools for Netv

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Re: snmpCollect counter wrapping (was Better Graphing tools for Netview)
From: "Paul Maine Jr." <paulm@msicc.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:23:05 -0600
Why does Netview discard the wrap. There is a straight forward algorithm to
make the proper count adjustment once a wrap has been detected and thus not
lose any valid data. The counter size is limited to 32 bits, therefore the
upper limit is known and factored into the wrap calculations. This is
becoming more of an issue since many networks are using gigabit technology
and the 32 bit counters will wrap very quickly.