Re: Subject: Question regarding Reflection vs. Exceed X-sessions

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Subject: Question regarding Reflection vs. Exceed X-sessions
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:46:00 -0500
Just a general comment here.  NetView has no notion of whether it is
running on an X-emulator or not.  It's native UNIX  GUI makes the same
calls to X and Motif that it always does.  X-emulators like ExCeed and
Reflection talk to the native X-server on the box, not to the applications
such as NetView.  They are supposed to handle without a hitch anything that
the X-server tells them to do on behalf  of the X-application; an
application running on the X-emulator should be able to do whatever it can
do in the native X-GUI without a problem.  If they don't, that is their
limitation , and they will have to fix it.  NetView is not responsible for
poor performance over the emulator.  Even if we could do something
differently to help these emulators out, their vendors  would have to point
that out and tell us, since what we do works fine on native X.  This is why
we don't publish word one in our doc about to use one of these emulators
with NetView.  If you choose to do it, figuring out the problems you
encounter are between you and the emulator vendor.  We are not involved and
should not be, any more than if you had a problem with the graphics card.
The solution is not in our code.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT