Re: Problems getting it going again...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Problems getting it going again...
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 13:20:33 -0500
I would reboot.

A quick look at /etc/services will tell you the well-known ports used by
Netview, and then you can do a netstat -a and see which ones are in use.
If you see a bunch in CLOSE WAIT status, then your operating system is
being slow in freeing them up and until he does that you will get that same
failure.    Sounds to me like you need AIX  maintenance though I cannot
recommend anything specific.    If you don't see the CLOSE WAITs and you
still get that message then you would have to get some kind of tool like
lsof (which you can get off the web) to determine who has the port you
need.
Rebooting will force AIX to free everything up and start over.

If you have continuing problems, I would open a call to Support.   And I
would put on 6.0.1 as soon as possible, even though I know of no
maintenance in there to help with this problem, because that would make you
current and easier for NetView Level 2 to help you.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Treptow, Craig" <Treptow.Craig@principal.com>@tkg.com on 12/22/2000