Re: SNMP Trap

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: SNMP Trap
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 00:04:47 -0500
snmpwalk does just what the name implies.  It uses SNMP request to "walk",
that is, to  traverse in order, the branches and leaves of a MIB tree.  It
does repetitive and recursive SNMPget requests to gather data from the SNMP
agent on the target box and reports it all.  It generates no traps.

My best advice is to install the NetView MLM appropriate to the platform on
which you wish to generate this trap and use the "snmptrap" command to
build one of your own choosing.  If you already have an MLM installed, and
it is on the same operating system platform as the box you wish to generate
the trap from then you can just copy over the MLM snmptrap binary.  It is
designed to run "standalone".  Note that this is NOT true of the one which
is included in the NetView for UNIX server, which uses shared libraries.  I
have not tried to use the NT nvsnmptrap.exe on a non-NetView NT machine, so
I don't know if it will work or not.

You will have to be familiar with snmptrap syntax (and the MLM version is a
bit different than the server version, so be careful). I am sorry if this
is too difficult for you or your QA person to use.  snmptrap is a
programmer's or system customizer's tool and is not designed to used by
untutored folks.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT