Re: SNMP traps from hosts: to Netview, or to T/EC?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: SNMP traps from hosts: to Netview, or to T/EC?
From: "Brandon Mitchell" <bmitch@surfree.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 23:19:18 -0500
I'll try answering this as someone who knows TEC better than NV.  The answer
depends on what you plan on doing with the event in NV.  If you need to see
the event in NV for status updates or other reasons, then it's better off
there first.  If there is filtering that you can do in NV that can't be done
in the adapter, then send the event to NV first to cut down on the TEC load.
Also keep in mind that some of the netview adapters require the exact same
configuration as the snmp adapter requires to get information to TEC (see
the TEC adapters guide, but keep in mind that I believe some of the NV to
TEC adapters are built directly into NV, simplifying things).

I have recommended using the SNMP adapter in environments where there was no
need for NV or where the people who wanted to receive the traps in TEC were
different than the people who configured NV.  NV also adds an additional
point of failure.  I haven't played with MLM's, but the ability to
distribute the SNMP adapter easily to any remote site and filter at that
site instead of sending the trap across the WAN is nice.  I guess the cross
platform support is better for the SNMP adapters than in NV which may be a
factor in your environment.

After seeing a TEC server flooded by traps sent from the NV box, I like the
control I have over the SNMP adapters which are usually owned by the TEC
admin, rather than find the NV admin and convince them to change their
filters.  However, I'm quite sure that NV offers better filtering than the
SNMP adapters, so using NV is preferable if you plan to use this feature.

What's my answer you ask?  It depends on your environment.
Brandon

Brandon Mitchell <bmitchell@ebnetworks.com>
eB Networks - Enterprise Management