Re: Java plug for web access

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Java plug for web access
From: ronnie.ross@springs.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:47:38 -0500
Sounds good to me.  What are the required steps to make the web client run
as a stand-alone application?

Ronnie Ross
Network Engineer

                    Gareth_Holl@t

                    ivoli.com            To:     IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l@tkg.com>
                    Sent by:             cc:

                    owner-nv-l@tk        Subject:     Re: [NV-L] Java plug for
web access
                    g.com

                    01/19/01

                    02:36 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Neither NetView 6.0 or 6.0.1supplied the Java plugin required to use the
Web Client via a web browser. It was usually a requirement to acquire the
plugin from Sun's web site, although Sun made updates to this plugin which
were incompatible with the Web Client, so we started making the original
plugin available from our ftp site on request.
Upgrading from NetView 6.0 to 6.0.1 did not require an upgrade in the Java
plugin. I run the "plugin1_1_3-win.exe" with 6.0.1 without a problem.

The Java Runtime environment (JRE) is a separate item. It is supplied with
NetView. The only supported JRE Runtime environment is 1.1.8 (except
Solaris which is 1.1.7). Again this was never upgraded when going from
NetView version 6.0 to 6.0.1.

If you have ever had a need to remove an old java plugin and replace it, it
is possible that a problem occured at this point. Are you sure you have the
plugin "plugin1_1_3-win.exe" installed correctly ? I agree with Bill that
running the Web Client as a stand-alone application is probably more
convenient at this point and if this works, then it does point to your
current plugin version.

Regards,

Gareth Holl
Software Engineer
gholl@tivoli.com

Tivoli Systems / IBM Corporation
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina.    1-800-TIVOLI-8

Bill Evans <wvevans@nc.rr.com>@tkg.com on 01/19/2001 01:40:44 PM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com