Re: Re: SNMP MIB 2 -> MIB 1 converter

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Re: SNMP MIB 2 -> MIB 1 converter
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 22:43:22 -0500
If you really want to convert other people's MIBs yourself, then I
recommend you obtain "Understanding SNMP MIBs" by Perkins and Ellis.  I got
my copy through Amazon two years ago.  It is the "bible" as far as I can
see on the subject of the differences between the two and how one should
translate the different constructs.  It has sections on how to go from V2
to V1, and from V1 to V2, for those who are so inclinded.  It also has a CD
included which contains the SMICng MIB compiler, both in binaries and in
source, that can be used or compiled on various platforms.  SMICng offers
V2 to V1 conversion as one of its possible outputs.  Many vendor MIBs that
I have seen have a "compiled by SMICng statement" in them showing that this
is that vendor's compiler of choice, so you will be in good company.

Hope this helps.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT