Re: collections

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: collections
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:05:16 -0500
I'm always sorry to see a naming convention like that, because Netview
will only label nodes with the first part, up to the dot. It has always
been that
way. It is not a feature of Collections, it carries throughout the map.
Some ideas:

You can manually override the  label. Not recommended, since it is labor
intensive and not necessarily permanent.

You can make more than one Collection. If you don't have too many
locations,
you can make one for each, grouping down servers at each site.

You can display the full name on demand, with Tools..Display Object Infor,
or
ctl-o.

You can rename the nodes, from Netview's point of view, by putting them in
the /etc/hosts file and setting /etc/netsvc.conf to contain
'hosts=local,bin'. Give
them the names you wish t see used as labels. This would be easy to create
with a little script.

In V6, you can use the Explorer View, or the web client, where you have a
Property Tip option. That allows you to control what is shown when the
mouse
hovers over the node. The full Selection Name would give you what you need.

Anybody else?

Detroit

"Norbert Walka" <norbert.walka@sinius.com>@tkg.com on 01/23/2001 04:47:35
AM