Re: Limiting the number of Popup windows

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Limiting the number of Popup windows
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:16:51 -0500
You can limit the notifications but not if you use just ovxecho.   Let me
explain.

>From the sound of it, you have configured the "command for automatic
action" in xnmtrap to simply launch ovxecho.
But ovxecho is just a simple "put up a window with this message" utility
which any  programmer familiar with Motif could write.  I think it is based
on one of their samples, as a matter of fact.  Each popup instance is
unique.   There is no over-arching control mechanism to determine how many
are active at time.  trapd sends the action to ovactiond  and he forks a
process to execute it.  He has no idea what it is.  So using just ovxecho
won't work for you.  It's just a user programming tool and if it doesn't do
what you want, you have to program something else.

 There are two ways to get the control you want.  The first way is to not
use ovxecho directly but to write your own script which tracks how many of
these you have launched and not launch any more after you reach whatever
limit you have set.   This puts the onus on you.  The second way is not to
use ovxecho at all but to configure the Popup Notification in xnmtrap
itself.  When you use that mechanism, the popups are launched by nvevents,
and he keeps track of how many are active at one time.  There is a default
limit of 10 (set in /usr/OV/app-defaults/Nvevents) which is configurable.
When you use this mechanism, nvevents will stop displaying popups after 10,
and if these are not answered by the user, he will put up one more which
says in effect that he has more to display but cannot until the user
acknowledges the first ten.  As the first ten are "OK'd", the next ten will
be displayed, until all the ones you have configured have been displayed.
The down side is that you must have an events window open for this control
to be active.  No events window, no popups.  The good side of this is that
you can kill nvevents to stop all the popups. But if you have configured
800 popups, you will eventually see 800 popups unless you kill the GUI
first.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Patel, Shaileshbhai B" <shaileshbhai.patel@eds.com>@tkg.com on 02/02/2001
02:42:04 PM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com

To:   "NV-L Discussion (E-mail)" <nv-l@tkg.com>
cc:
Subject:  [NV-L] Limiting the number of Popup windows

Hello All,

     We have configured Interface up/down and Node up/down events for
Popup notification using ovxecho command. Is       there anyway that we can
limit the number of Popup notifications? If router has 400 interfaces and
it
goes down and  comes back up, there are 800 popup notifications. I know
that in HP OpenView there is a limit of  number of Popup     notification
at one point in time and it is 10.

     The file /usr/OV/app-defaults/XNm contains resources for ovxecho as
well as ovxbeep but it does not have any resource       for limiting number
of popup.

     We are running NetView 6.0.1 on SUN E450, O/S level is Solaris 2.7

Thanks in advance

Shailesh Patel
Distributed Systems Capabilities
Troy, Michigan 48098