Re: Event forwarding...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Event forwarding...
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 14:55:48 -0500
How about this?
Configure your tecinit.conf file to use some real hostname in your network
as the TEC server, but make sure it is not the real one.  Any box you don't
care about will do.  nvserverd will try to contact him over and over again,
of course, but as there is no TEC server running there, it will fail.  Thus
each event will be written to /etc/Tivoli/tec/cache and you can see in that
file what would be sent.  If you like what you see, then you could just fix
the file to use the actual TEC server name, and restart nvserverd, and when
the TEC connection is made, the entire contents of the cache will be sent.
If you want to do everything on the fly you can use the commands "nvtecia
-stop" to halt the internal adapter inside nvserverd, fix the file, and
start again with "nvtecia -reload", all without restarting nvserverd.

By the way, you could also monitor what's going on over in TEC, and if you
have a problem there, issue the "nvtecia -stop" on NetView to halt things
before they get out of hand.

No windows are involved.  This is all done by daemons in the background.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Treptow, Craig" <Treptow.Craig@principal.com>@tkg.com on 02/06/2001