Re: Discovory Problems

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Discovory Problems
From: Clarence Hart <rti1clh@ismd.ups.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:32:09 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: Re: [NV-L] Discory Problems
> To: IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l@tkg.com>
> From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
> Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 14:30:16 -0500
>
> You say that the IP Subnet Mask field is correct. That must be on the
> Interface
> object, since nodes don't have that field. And the TopM Interface List is
> on the
> Node object. Check the netmon log (/usr/OV/log/netmon.trace) and I suspect
> you
> will see a notice telling you that the node is in the wrong subnet, and
> that you should
> delete it and rediscover it. Maybe a demandpoll (Test...Demand Poll) on the
> node
> will help.

  Yes, if I run ovobjprint -s hostname OBJECT ID # 142 shows the following:
(which is correct)
      142             IP Subnet Mask                  "255.255.255.0"

    -- The  --> TopM Interface List  had  255.255.240.0 ..Which was
automatically populated.

   My netmon.trace file only has one entry that has nothing to do with the
cisco box.

   Also I ran demand poll and it changed the icon from blue to green but thats
when
   I noticed it was on the wrong subnet.  Since then Ive tried to delete object
   but it still shows up when I run the ovobjprint command.
   How do you completely remove an object once it has been added to the
database?

> When you added the node, did you edit the IP properties and verify that the
> mask was correct? That is the most likely cause for it being wrong in the
> first
> place. Problems like this are why I prefer the natural discovery over the
> manual.

     I would have not have tried to do any manual adding but the cisco switches
had been running
     for aprox. one week without Netview discoverying them.  I kinda had no
choice.

> For that, I would suggest setting up a seedfile and putting the node in
> there, and
> deleting it and letting Netview discover it for itself.

     Ill try to remove it ENTIRELY from the Database then add it to the seed
file
     and see if a demand poll will force an update.