Re: IBM_NVNDWN_EV events Received in Error

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: IBM_NVNDWN_EV events Received in Error
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:39:30 -0500
Connie, a 60-second timeout is a bad idea. This is a knob that you
turn by degrees. If the default 2/3 is not enough, try 3/3 or 3/4. It
depends
on what the problem is. Sometimes certain hubs just loose their IP for
a while, although they are still operating. Sometimes pings get lost,
in which case more retries will help better than longer timeouts. The
real network people can explain better than I can the various things
that can cause false alarms. But from an overall netview standpoint,
to approach you should take is
1) Tiny increases in the default setting
2) Slightly larger increases for specific nodes or IP wildcards over slow
links.
3) Look for other problems with, or on the path to, devices that take an
inordinate amount of time to respond.

Detroit

"Bresson, Connie" <connie.bresson@eds.com>@tkg.com on 02/12/2001 09:47:25
AM