network management - netview - detecting rogue routers

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: network management - netview - detecting rogue routers
From: "Donald Mahler" <dmahler@telcordia.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:40:50 -0500

Does netview v6 have any ability to detect a misbehaving router?     one
that is sending out erroneous routing packets?    we have had a few
occurences of someone putting a device on the network that starts
advertizing itself as a router,  with routes out to the internet.      a
sun workstation with "routed "enabled and 2 interfaces cards can do this.
hard to protect ourselves.

can netview detect this?   I suspect not.

has anyone else had this happen to them?   and if so, what tools can help
you prevent it, detect it, or diagnose it quicker.    there has to be a
better way than systematically shutting down other router interfaces to
wait for the problem to go away .  ugh

any ideas?

Don Mahler