dns and netview events

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: dns and netview events
From: "Geoffrey Cheng/Markham/IBM" <gcheng@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:20:35 -0500
Dear all,

     I'm using NetView for AIX V6.01. My NetView box is configured to use
the DNS server
     which is on the same 100bit Ethernet as NetView box. The DNS name
resoluiton works
     fine and I've also configured the /etc/netsvc.conf file to have name
resolution go to
     /etc/hosts first. Entries in /etc/hosts file are consistent with the
ones in DNS.

     When I start NetView, however, events are not poping up in the event
window, while
     they are showing up in trapd.log. When I configure the server not to
use DNS,
     then the events start to show up.

     I've tried reset_ci in case there are resolution problems, I've also
tried nettl to parse
     the nettl.LOG00, still haven't found anything related.

     When NetView box is configured to use DNS, I tried to use the event
command to generate
     event. The event shown up in the trapd.log file, as well as two other
events:

          netmon related application disconnecting from trapd
          netmon related application connected from trapd

     Any idea what could possibly be wrong with my box? Thanks.

Best Regards,

Geoffrey Cheng