Changing netmon Queue

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Changing netmon Queue
From: Stephen Elliott <selliott@epicrealm.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 12:21:06 -0600
Hello, All,

In a steady state NetView system, should the number of entries in the netmon
polling queue change? If I do consecutive netmon -a12's, I see differences
in the sorted outputs. The number of entries fluctuates as noted here

wc -l output against consecutive netmon -a12's

    2957 /tmp/file
    2963 /tmp/file
    2957 /tmp/file
    2958 /tmp/file
    2960 /tmp/file
    2962 /tmp/file
    2948 /tmp/file
    2950 /tmp/file
    2953 /tmp/file

This showed up while troubleshooting a problem where netmon missed detecting
a server interface outage. Each server has public and private interfaces.
Greping the server entries from a netmon -a12 out showed the public address
missing. I don't know if I'm seeing a bug in the netmon -a12 dump routine or
if the output is accurately reflecting the queue entries.

The database in this system is built entirely by loadhosts. No discovery or
config change polling is being done. No one is unmanaging devices or
deleting/adding nodes or interfaces. My assumption is that barring any of
these alterations, the netmon queue length should be static.

Anyone see this before? Is it even a problem?

Regards,

Steve Elliott
Sr. Network Mgmt. Engineer
epicRealm, Inc.