Re: netview monitoring throughput

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: netview monitoring throughput
From: Joe Fernandez <jfernand@kardinia.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 08:48:13 +1100
At 01:14 PM 07-03-01 -0500, you wrote:

> Does anyone know of a white paper that will show me how to monitor
> throughput(bytes per second) for each frame-relay link on my router?
>
> I set something up in Netview under: Tools-Data Collection &
Thresholds:SNMP,
> using .1.3.6.1.2.1.10.32.2.1.9. (frCircuitReceivedOctets) and
> .1.3.6.1.2.1.10.32.2.1.7.(frCircuitSentOctets) but this only collects the
> byte count at an instance of time (side question - when I look at the
> information gathered for ReceivedOctets, does the info represent the byte
> count for the past 5 minutes if my interval is set to 5 minutes, because
when
> I do a snmpget for the same OID it shows the byte count since the router
come
> up, which of course is very large compared to the gathered info.)

An snmpget or a query in the MIB browser will return the current value of the
counter, which has been incrementing since the agent was restarted.

Howver, if you set up data collection and pick the option to store the
collected data, NetView's data collector will take the difference between
successive counter readings and divide by the time interval before storing the
value,  so you will get a rate........

>  So if the gathered number represents the byte count for the past 5 minutes
> then all I would have to do is make an "Expression" (mibExpr.conf) that
would
> divide the OID by 300s, right or I'm I missing something or is there an
> easier/another way?

...and so you should not need to do the math yourself.

> Also what would be a good recommendation on how often to poll for the byte
> count in order to get an accurate representation of my throughput?

Depends on what degree of time resolution you want in your monitoring of
what's
happening on your PVCs, how many PVCs you are going to poll, and how much in
resources you are willing to use. I generally suggest a 5 minute frequency but
some of our customers use 2 minute or 1 minute.

> Thanks,
> -Jin

Joe Fernandez
Kardinia Software