RE: Unknown Trap

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Unknown Trap
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 18:49:40 -0500
Scott -

I am sorry if you thought I was patronizing you but when you are trying to
diagnose someone else's problem remotely you have to ask dumb queations
since you cannot be sure what has been done otherwise.  It is no reflection
on you.  It is just the nature of the process.

This trapd.conf you included the excerpt from is the one in /usr/OV/conf/C,
correct?  And when you run xnmtrap, you can find these traps in there,
correct?  And trapd has been restarted since you added them, correct?  Then
the only thing I can see which might be the problem is that according to
the definitions, the trap OID should be 1.3.6.1.4.1.1569.2.9.0, but what we
got was 1.3.6.1.4.1.1569.2.9.  Now if it were reversed, and the trap
contaiined more places than the defined OID, then we would assign it to the
lesser one with the closest fit.  But I don't think we can recognize the
".0" as being unimportant.  Is the enterprise id in the first part of the
file the same way?  If so, then my advice is to use xnmtrap to take the
trailing ".0" off all the places where it occurs,  click 'OK" and see if
that solves the problem.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT