Monitoring NetView Server status best practices? Script?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Monitoring NetView Server status best practices? Script?
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 13 Mar 2001 23:32:14 -0600
Greetings all,

I'm new to the group, and thought this might be a common question, but
my search through the archives has not yielded any fruit on this
query.   I'm curious how/whether other folks have tackled this
availability issue.

I'm pondering the best definition of "NetView server health."

I'd like to write a script to check the status of the netview server
and send email to a pager in the event the the Netview application
failed.  This script would run on the server itself (AIX)--a separate
script takes care of verifying that the Netview machine is up from an
OS and networking standpoint.

To verify Netview health, what process(es) should be monitored?  Or
should ovstatus messages be used or the output of the ps command?  Is
monitoring netmon enough (I've been told that it's dependent on
several other daemons, and would die if any one of the other failed)?
Or are there separate processes that need to be watched to ensure both
monitoring and ruleset processing are alive and well?

TIA for insight you can share!

Best Regards,