Ruleset Performance Question

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Ruleset Performance Question
From: skantner@dsscorp.com
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:04:55 -0400
I am faced with monitoring router and node outages and issuing email/paging
alerts for multiple groups of routers and nodes.    Different actions must
be taken depending on which group the routers/nodes belong to as they
belong to different customers that we monitor from a central Netview.   I
am not having difficulty with coding the rulesets (classic pass-on-match
and reset-on-match scenarios) to handle this, but I am in a quandary as how
to best do the implementation from a performance and ruleset maintenance
perspective.    I have read James' 1998 doc on ruleset performance, but I
am still left wondering about a few things.

My goals are:

1. Minimum number of rulesets in order to minimize maintenance when adding
new customers.
2. Efficient ruleset design so that I avoid bringing nvcorrd to its knees.

Questions:

1. Is it better to have a few large rulesets that do multiple smartset
queries to determine a node's collection membership, or many small rulesets
with a single smartset query per ruleset (essentially a 'ruleset per
customer')?
2. Could a larger ruleset set that does multiple smartset queries use
common pass-on-match/reset-on-match logic, or is this a bad idea?  To wit:

                                                      ----> Query Smartset1
-----\
Event                Trap               /
\
Stream  ------> Settings1       ------> Query SmartSet 2
--------------Input1------>   Pass
                \                                  \
/                                        on
                  \                                  -------> Query
Smartset 3----/        /--Input2------>  Match
                   \                                 ----> Query Smartset1
-----\         /
                     ->  Trap               /
\     /
                          Settings2       ------> Query SmartSet 2 ------>/
                                                   \
/
                                                     -------> Query
Smartset 3----/

3. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using the ROUTERDOWN_EV trap over
IBM_NVNDWN_EV when looking for router downs?

Thanks and Regards,

//Scott

Scott P. Kantner
Lead Systems Engineer