NetView 6.0 and SNMP

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NetView 6.0 and SNMP
From: Michel.Grossenbacher@coop.ch
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:06:21 +0200
Hello together
I wrote a mail some time ago about the same issue, I tested it some more now
but I still have problems with SNMP ping and conf check on SNMP. Im running
NetView 6.0 ond AIX 4.3.3

Ok pehraps first the scenario... I got 8 Systems behind a firewall, the
firewall is open for the internal network, well no port is closed but still
some rules are active. 4 of those Hosts are not pingable and 4 are. I put
those 8 hosts up on 2 different NetView Servers, prod and test, on the
productive server I splited it to 4 normal ping, 4 SNMP Ping and on the Test
I put up all with SNMP (Seedfile with $ in front).
On the Testsystem, I got 2 Hosts now, that are changing their Status all
second (up/down) there are also 3 Hosts Im not able to SNMP Ping (SNMP
request timed out on demand poll) the strange thing on those 3 is, I can do
a -snmpget -c community node system.sysDescr.0 and I get an answer....
On the productive server I got 3 Hosts that respond to SNMP but change their
color to white (unreachable) after about 30min I dont get a down event or
something like this, just sometimes an up event.

Those are the same hosts on 2 diferent Servers I dont understand that issue
at all....
I gave NetView their community names in the SNMP Configuration, so it
shouldnt be the problem

Is there a Problem with SNMP on V.  6.0 or could it be a problem with the
firewall?

I hope for some advice cause at the moment, Im swimming a little....

Thanks all

Michel Grossenbacher
Coop
Networks