Communications used by Web Client

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Communications used by Web Client
From: "Bill Evans" <wvevans@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:17:40 -0400
I've been asked the question "Does the Web Client use HTTP or HTTPS?"   That
seems to be the wrong question.   I use the Java Applet and I can see it uses
its own socket. I see that Jetty supports secure sockets.  The larger question
I can't answer is the overall one on security.
  a.. How secure is the session between NV Web Client and NV Web Server?
  b.. Is the transmission  encrypted?
  c.. Does it use Secure Sockets?
In its simplest terms I think my questioner wants to know;
  a.. Can a snoop with a sniffer see the data in plain form as it traverses the
network?
Bill Evans
Consultant in Enterprise Systems Management
SRA International