How to clean the database up?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: How to clean the database up?
From: "Treptow, Craig" <Treptow.Craig@principal.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 08:49:35 -0500
Hi.  We are running NV 6.0.2 on AIX 4.3.3.

I would like to "destroy" the database(s) and have Netview rediscover our
network.  It appears that under the "server setup" dialog, there are two
options called "Clear object/topology/map databases" that would do the trick,
one saves customizations, one doesn't.  I don't want to destroy my smartset
definitions or rulesets, but otherwise would like Netview to behave as if it
was just installed and knew nothing about our network.

So, would the "save customization" version of this be what I want, or is there
a better way?

Some things I'm seeing that are driving me toward this are:

* Netview refuses to discover anything new.  (eg, Netview is missing hundreds
of hubs, and no matter what I do, it won't discover them)
* We swapped some switch hardware, which Netview recognized just fine, by
updating the objects and symbols.  I cut the objects from the map and tried to
paste them into a new container, but they came back with "shadows".  I deleted
them and can't get them back.
* Netview discovered some of our routers as multiple routers, rather than one
router with multiple interfaces.
* Netview knows about plenty of objects it shouldn't right now.  Probably due
to not having the correct seed file filters on during a discovery that happened
a long time ago.

This seems like the easiest, quickest way for me to try to get this cleaned up.

Other opinions and input are welcomed.

Thanks.

Craig Treptow
Principal Financial Group