Re: How to clean the database up?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: How to clean the database up?
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:10:05 -0400
What a good idea. It's my favorite thing to do. Yes, use the one that saves
customizations. It saves smartset definitions and apm stuff if you have
any.
If you are using the location.conf file, make sure it is up to date, so as
to avoid
the problems that have been discussed here lately. And of course double
check your seedfile and name resolution. I suggest you order your seedfile,
routers first, near to far, keep it fairly short. Deal with the hubs later,
for instance.
And don't put any non-snmp things in the seedfile if you can help it.

Note that if you have been using the Turbo form, say because you have a few
devices with interface counts over about 70, then you will have to redo the
Turbo conversion after the rediscovery to get those devices discovered
correctly. In those cases, I start with a short seedfile, stop the
discovery, and
convert before proceeding.

A good thing to do at this point, when  you have too much stuff, is to
extract
from it a list of what you DO have, so you can make sure you get it all
back, if
you want it. Use ovtopodump -rl > topo.file to save it for later. Then you
can
use little scripts to pull all of the routers, or all of the devices by
oid, or whatever.

Backups before and after, of course. And neatness counts!

Detroit

"Treptow, Craig" <Treptow.Craig@principal.com>@tkg.com on 04/20/2001
09:49:35 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com