How to e-mail alerts ?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: How to e-mail alerts ?
From: "Wakako Yamamoto" <yamamoto_wakako@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:08:13 -0000
Hi,
Can anyone help me in the automation of the ALERT via E-mail ? Like when i see an alert interface down. Is if possible for me to configure an e-mail to send out ? I am new to Netview. Can you guide please.
Thanks

Wakako Yamamoto
Network Admin
Fuji-Bank Tokyo
Tel: 81-3-5361-0924
Fax: 81-3-5361-6772

Hi forumers,

Configuration

  • Netview 5.1.3 + fixes,
  • Tru64 (Digital) UNIX 4.0f
  • Network implementation (FDDI, single and dual Ethernet - redundant transceivers) based on DEC900 family (concentrators, repeaters, VnSwitches...)
When one of the redunded element is down, it has an impact on all of the network elements (i.e. many interface down, then up traps generated by netmon), including nodes that have no link with the failed element. After analysis, failure of one element induce an unstability in the network, with automatic reconfiguration which needs several seconds to recover (FDDI and Ethernet redundancy, dynamic routing, ...). During this reconfiguration phase, netmon fails pinging some interfaces, which seems reasonnable.
In order to coope with this unstability period, I've tried to configured timeout and retries values for this polling (wildcard values in xsnmpconf), but these values are automatically decreased by netmon down to 1 second and no retries, which does not coope with the tolerance that was expected!!!

Is there any way to prevent netmon from adjusting dynamically these values? If using SNMP polling, will netmon also adjust its internal timeouts?

Thanks for any help

Luc BARNOUIN