Re: How to e-mail alerts ?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: How to e-mail alerts ?
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:39:49 -0400
You will find many examples and notes on how to do this if you search the
archives of this list

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Wakako Yamamoto" <yamamoto_wakako@hotmail.com>@tkg.com on 04/25/2001
08:08:13 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com

To:   nv-l@tkg.com
cc:
Subject:  [NV-L] How to e-mail alerts ?

Hi,
Can anyone help me in the automation of the ALERT via E-mail ? Like when i
see an alert interface down. Is if possible for me to configure an e-mail
send out ? I am new to Netview. Can you guide please.
Thanks

Wakako Yamamoto
Network Admin
Fuji-Bank Tokyo
Tel: 81-3-5361-0924
Fax: 81-3-5361-6772

Hi forumers,

Configuration

   Netview 5.1.3 + fixes,
   Tru64 (Digital) UNIX 4.0f
   Network implementation (FDDI, single and dual Ethernet - redundant
   transceivers) based on DEC900 family (concentrators, repeaters,
   VnSwitches...)

When one of the redunded element is down, it has an impact on all of the
network elements (i.e. many interface down, then up traps generated by
netmon), including nodes that have no link with the failed element. After
analysis, failure of one element induce an unstability in the network, with
automatic reconfiguration which needs several seconds to recover (FDDI and
Ethernet redundancy, dynamic routing, ...). During this reconfiguration
phase, netmon fails pinging some interfaces, which seems reasonnable.
In order to coope with this unstability period, I've tried to configured
timeout and retries values for this polling (wildcard values in xsnmpconf),
but these values are automatically decreased by netmon down to 1 second and
no retries, which does not coope with the tolerance that was expected!!!

Is there any way to prevent netmon from adjusting dynamically these values?
If using SNMP polling, will netmon also adjust its internal timeouts?

Thanks for any help

Luc BARNOUIN