Re: snmpCollect not working

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: snmpCollect not working
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:43:14 -0400
Hi, Arjen. I have learned some interesting things by turning on tracing in
snmpcollect, especially at startup, which you do in the daemon
configuration.
Tracing and verbose. I have seen it do this sometimes, and it usually
is as a result of not being able to ask the device the actual question you
have configured, as opposed to the test you make with snmpget or snmpwalk.

One thing I found out that way is this: sometimes you are pulling too much
data
from a device at one time, and the device refuses to answer. Netview will
try to
get it all in one trip. To solve this, on the snmpCollect daemon settings,
reduce
the maxpdu from 100 to 50. This forces snmpCollect to make two trips, and
the
device is happy. This is just a guess. But when more than a few interfaces
on
a device are involved, I drop the maxpdu.

Tracing may also show that it is having some name resolution problems.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

"Hageman, Arjen (A)" <AHAGEMAN@dow.com>@tkg.com on 04/27/2001 10:08:55 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com