nortel router deleted by netview

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: nortel router deleted by netview
From: "Jin SU Qian" <qianj@cn.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 20:28:32 +0800
Hi .

we encountered a Network problem at customer's site. Environment is
described as below:
NV box: NV6.0.2 +Framework 3.7 on AIX 4.3.3.0, located in server center.
Network: two Nortel Passport 8600 switch build up the backbone and provide
redundancy. Two Nortel router(A & B) connect to backbone and link to other
remote sites by Frame Relay & DDN. Both routers has 2 lan interfaces
connecting to both switch.

While NV installed and start to lookup network, we found only one of the
routers displayed in map. The other one (Router B), does not exist in topo,
object and map db. From nv station, we can ping router B, and it's ip
address had been put into seed file. Then we tried to clear all database,
let netmon to re-discover network. This time netview found Router B but
could not find Router A.

We then did a test: add a new object with IP address set to same of router
A. It seems to work, icon turned to green after several seconds and links
to other networks added after demand polling. Interfaces of Router A can be
found by double click on the icon. But after a while, interfacces were
automatically deleted one by one and finally the router icon itself.
Checking trapd.log found no useful information, only lots of "interface
added" events followed immediately by "interface deleted" events. Among
them, we noticed that two ethernet interfaces were deleted first.

We double checked all interface configuration of both router A & B, there
are no address conflict except one labeled 0.0.0.0, which is used for ISP's
control PVC interface (all routers of customer have a special PVC interface
defined for ISP control usage. This interface has no ip address configured,
but netview sensed this interface and assign the ip with 0.0.0.0 ),using "
ovtopodump 0.0.0.0 ", there is only one object for it. but when double
click the icon of several routers in this network , they all have an
interface with the ip 0.0.0.0 .

Any suggestion is welcome.

Qian Jing
Tivoli/ISM, IBM Global Service
10/F Shui On Plaza, 333 Huai Hai Zhong Road,
Shanghai 200021, P.R.China
Tel: (86)21-63262288x4717
E-Mail: qianj@cn.ibm.com