Re: Netview Data Collection and Thresholds

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview Data Collection and Thresholds
From: "Barry R. Hammen" <bhammen@accmail.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:25:30 -0700
I'm using Data Collection and Thresholds to monitor the TCP ports used by the
netscape servers on my AIX machines (I don't like the mib-trap that netscape
supplies to monitor the server).
Every 5 minutes, the TCP port is polled to see if it's up.  If the port is up,
a trap is sent that sets tells the GUI that the server is up, if no trap is
sent, the server is considered to be down.
My problem is whenever the server goes down, and netview polls the port and it
is down, Netview won't try to poll the port again for another 40-60 minutes (it
varies everytime).  I have the threshold set to 0 and the rearm set to 10000
(so that if the port is active the threshold will be exceeded everytime and the
event will be rearmed.)  I'm pretty new to Netview and I cannot figure out why
there is a variable length delay in the polling when I have the polling
interval set to 5 minutes.
If someone could either help me out with this problem or let me in on a better
way to monitor a TCP port, I'd greatly appreciate it.