Re: Netview Data Collection and Thresholds

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview Data Collection and Thresholds
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:57:00 -0400
In the configuration of the snmpCollect daemon, there is
an option that controls how long it should wait before retrying
when it fails to contact a node. By default this is 60 minutes.
I usually change that to 15, figuring most things, if they are
being rebooted, will be back up by then, and a common
polling interval is 15 minutes, so with luck I would only miss
one polling interval. Since you want to poll much more frequently,
you would want to set that interval even smaller. If you look
in /usr/OV/log/snmpCol.trace, you will see reports of these
failures to collect. Of course it would be nice if snmpCollect
did not keep this information to himself, but that's how it works.

Others may be able to advise you on the hows and whys
of tcp port monitoring.

Detroit

"Barry R. Hammen" <bhammen@accmail.umd.edu>@tkg.com on 05/31/2001 02:25:30
PM