Re: Unnumbered IP on a serial interface

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Unnumbered IP on a serial interface
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:04:58 -0400
Ray, I take it that the question is why Netview is not drawing an object
for that
Serial0/0 and monitoring it, and is only drawing objects for the
subinterfaces.
Normally it would figure out that there is unnumbered serial involved and
switch the node to snmp polling and draw objects for the unnumbered
interfaces.
Failure to do this is usually this is due to the configuration of the
device. If there
are no routes that reference that particular base interface, and nothing in
anybody's
CDP calls it out, then it will not be drawn. OR... if there is more than a
one-to-one
relationship between that node and the others, it will not be drawn, or
will not be
drawn properly. Usually this is a blessing. In your case I can see where
you would
like it to be monitored.

How about monitoring it separately with data collection? It is in the
interface
table, right? You can at least get an event on it - well, you are getting
an event
in the form of a trap from the device. With some work you could use APM
to add an icon that represents that base interface, and MLM would set its
status with the threshold/rearm events. That may be more work than you
are interested in. I would plan on working with the traps in some way,
though.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

"Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>@tkg.com on 05/31/2001 11:28:25 AM

Sent by:  owner-nv-l@tkg.com