Latest word on SNMP on Solaris 8 MLM?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Latest word on SNMP on Solaris 8 MLM?
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 08:49:15 -0400
I've been reading all of the history here. It appears that I need
the customer to verify that they have SEA 103 and the latest patch
which is 108869-02. And I should change the startup command in
/etc/init.d/init.snmpdx to include the '-f 0' option so snmpdx won't
kill mibiisa for refusing to answer to a bad community (!!?). And
I should NOT set a port in the reg file for mibiisa, since I want
snmpdx to funnel everything through 161/162 so this will still
work when we move the box behind the firewall. And the
read and write communities need to match in snmpd.conf and
snmdx.acl.

Anything else? I've got to get this working today. Nothing worked
yesterday. If I get this stuff right, then smconfig won't hang up,
right? And mibiisa will answer questions and not fall over?

What about this business described in the readme where snmpdx
won't enforce communities for its subagents, so MLM will answer
to anything? That seems kind of odd. How are people dealing with
that? It seems to me that if there is a midmand.acl, then the communities
ought to count for something.

Thanks for any clues..