RFI not very useful?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RFI not very useful?
From: thierry.van-mol@CIEV.vd.ch
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 18:42:05 +0200
I found out a behaviour of RFI which let me think that I might need
to turn it off on our network. Situation is like this:

Netview --------- Router A -------------- Router B ------- Subnet B
                             Serial link
                                PPP

Serial link is configured with a IP subnet of 30 bits (255.255.255.252 mask).

Now, when Router B is switch off completely (power failure):

- Subnet B and Router B becomes white (unreachable)

- Router A becomes yellow

- several interface, segment and network down events. A router marginal
  event for both router A and router B

- no Node down or Router down event for Router B is sent. I don't even get a
  Router unreachable event (?)

This behavior match the description of RFI in the doc. Indeed all subnets
to which Router B is connected are unreachable (since the serial interface
on router A went down, the subnet of the serial link has no more reachable
host). But I think that for the operator, the representation is misleading:
this is a very serious outage in the network, and the root fault is Router B.
But I don't see anything becoming red on the Home submap, and no major
event like "Node down" comes in. Only a marginal event for router A.

Does anybody has a suggestion for improving this situation?

Thierry