RE: Loading Cisco MIBs on NV...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Loading Cisco MIBs on NV...
From: "Scott Barr" <scott_barr@csgsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 07:40:05 -0500
James - I guess I thought those pre-fixed mibs were loaded by default?

I guess my problem here is really that the documentation (cough) is
insufficient. With the relationship IBM has with Cisco as "partners" this
would seem like an issue that should go away. Documentation should be
availble that guides someone through making the choices on which mibs to
load. Quite simply I loaded them all, because we use damn near every
possible feature on a Cisco router in one place or another in our network.

I also provided all this feedback via PMR to the development staff and I
have heard nothing back in more than 6 months. The fact that the web client
mib loader DOES NOT use the same parsing rules makes the situation even
worse. The mib browser on the client is junk and having to build the mib
structures in two places maintaining separate "source" (re: modified from
ciscos default) is a burden of work that almost makes this product not worth
using. If the documentation would make it clearer about how to proceed I
would not have had to fumble for a hundred hours to get all these loaded.
And had support been more atuned to the issue they might have given me
better guidance.

Bottom line is this process is broke and I really don't care what gets done
to fix it, it just needs to be fixed. I am a big believer in "reinventing
the wheel" because this wheel is square, missing spokes and the tire is
flat. At a minimum, the web client needs to work off the same mib structure
as the gui, period. I don't mind banging my head against a wall (feels good
when I stop) but I should not have to do that twice.

Thanks for the excellent info. I only wish I had it in January.