RE: Link Reliability

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Link Reliability
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:41:24 -0400
Pardon me, but It sounds as if NetView is doing exactly what you told it to
do. You are the one who decided how to do this, were you not?  It was your
decision to set the thresholds where they are and your decision to send
e-mail every time the threshold was exceeded.   It sounds like you are now
saying, "Well, perhaps I shouldn't have made the e-mail decisions because
this thing is broken too often."   If you don't like the result, then it is
up to you to design a better way to handle it.

You could send the e-mail, not right from the trap, but from an Action node
in  ruleset which uses a Threshold to control how often the e-mail is sent.
This is a common use for a ruleset.  If you just use  Event Stream(block)
--> Trap Settings  --> Threshold --> Action (e-mail script)   then you can
run this out of ESE.automation withoiut a problem.

Or you could adjust the threshold levels, raising the arm level and
lowering the disarm level so that it doesn't fire so often, so that your
e-mails are only sent when it has really recovered and then gone critical
again.  The data you collect via snmpCollect is unaffected and will still
be stored regardless of where you sent the monitoring threshold.  So  you
could stop sending e-mail altogether and just start saving the data for
analysis when someone is ready to look at it.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

z_esm_karekars <z_esm_karekars@bharatpetroleum.com>@tkg.com on 07/27/2001