Re: Rants on Integration (read Filter events by interface thread also)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Rants on Integration (read Filter events by interface thread also)
From: Bill Evans <wvevans@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 17:18:40 -0400
Wow and Amen. That was a major flame.  Two points only with no intent to
fan the flame.

1. There is a new - last couple years - extension to the Multi-System
Manager and NetView/390 which allows AIX and Solaris users to forward
traps via TCPIP and have them converted to SNA/MS alerts at the 390 end.
  (Rest In Peace AIX Service Point; I was the designer for that one.)
The MSM code makes much more sense and is much easier to implement since
it doesn't need the SNA stack at the Unix end. Progress is being made.
It took a decade to do it right but most of the wait was for a reliable
TCP/IP for OS/390.

2. I didn't intend to set anyone off with an old man's explanation of
why he's not ready to keep up with EVERY new fashion.  At the same time
your "rant" is nothing new to the developers.  They're aware 'cause some
of us have been singing that chorus for years.  If you look at the
recent activity on the NetView/390 and GEM console interfaces you'll see
some of the progress being made in providing a common Java based GUI.
The common Web Client Java for Unix and NT is another advance.   Slow
progress but progress.  I think I'm seeing some organizational progress
as well; I think I see management regaining some control of the process
they apparently lost about 1996 but it's hard to read those tea leaves
from the outside.

--
Bill Evans  --  Consultant in Enterprise Systems Management
reply-to: wvevans@prodigy.net  (or Bill_Evans@sra.com)