Re: MLM Clarification

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: MLM Clarification
From: Bill Evans <wvevans@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 17:56:40 -0400
For the Attended MLM the answers are No and Yes.

With Attended MLM the NetView component will discover its network beyond
the local subnet but won't forward that information to the upper level
NetView.  The best I know can be done is to create a NetView seed file
for the items discovered by the NetView NT part of the AMLM and forward
it to the parent NetView to discover for itself.  Then set up the MLM
seed file to initiate MLM monitoring. This is where the master NetView
needs SNMP and ICMP access to the managed nodes.

This is usually a firewall associated question and I think the answer to
that is to open the firewall until the nodes have been discovered and
handed off to the AMLM.  Then close the firewall except for the ports
used by the MLM.  Remember that once the FW is closed the parent can no
longer back up the AMLM.