RE: MLM Clarification

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: MLM Clarification
From: awatthey@mmm.com
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 08:26:48 +0100

Donald,

Are any of the features you mention below applicable when all the Netviews are
NT (ie. no Unix)?

Alan.

"Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com> on 08/08/2001 16:57:57

To:   "'IBM NetView Discussion'" <nv-l@tkg.com>
cc:    (bcc: Alan Watthey/UK-Europe/3M/US)
Subject:  RE: [NV-L] MLM Clarification

My 2 cents worth....

NetView/Unix does not know or care that NetView/NT is on the MLM.
NetView/Unix treats the MLM/NetView/NT just as if it were just an MLM.
AN Attended MLM is a NT machine running NetView/NT that just happens to be
running MLM for the
Unix NetView.

MLMs do NOT do discovery beyond the subnet that they are installed on (local
broadcast).
NetView/Unix does all of the discovery and then hands a list of nodes off to
an MLM.
An MLM can manage any node anywhere that NetView/Unix tells it that it is
responsible for.

It could be done with the smconfig application, but that is a hard way to
go!
The easiest way to do this is by starting Agent Policy Manager (C5d).
APM creates SmartSets for each MLM that it discovers, plus a couple of other
SmartSets.
SmartSets are the easy way to configure the list of nodes that a MLM is
responsible for polling.

However, you CANNOT modify the "template" SmartSets that APM has
created!!!!!
Use SmartSet Editor to copy each APM created MLM SmartSet to something like
Netsol_MLM_<MLMHostname>.
Then modify the new SmartSet rule as you wish to monitor ANY node in any
subnet!

Edit netmon configuration to use a "MLM domain SmartSet prefix" and Use MLMs
for polling.
I would leave the "Use MLMs for Discovery" set to No, since it will ONLY
discover its own subnet.
In this example it would be Netsol_MLM_.

Unmanage and Hide all of the SmartSets that were created by APM. They are of
NO value !!!
The reason that I say his is because if you modify and attempt to uses them,
or delete them,
the next time the APM daemon (C5d) is restarted. It reinitializes those
SmartSets and all of your customization is lost! You MUST copy them and use
the customized copies!!! (Been there, done that)

Open 2 command line windows:
1. tail -f /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace
2. Run: netmon -a 102

The log file will list all of the MLMs and a detailed list of each node that
each MLM is polling.
This does not happen immediately after changing an MLM SmartSet, give it a
couple of minutes.

After a few minutes of re-running netmon -a 102, you should see the list of
nodes that netmon has handed off.

Don Davis