RE: Location.conf - mis-Information

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: Location.conf - mis-Information
From: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:48:58 -0400
--> BEGIN FLAME <--
List,
I was quite disturbed to find this posting in direct contradiction of my
post regarding the size of the location.conf file. Some of us have run into
the problem with location.conf exceeding 1000 lines. Yes, it is a documented
restriction. But, there are customers who absolutely must go beyond 1000
lines. I have been there and done that and received an ipmap fix from
support via a PMR.....
You can go beyond the 1000 line restriction as my previous post indicates,
if you call support for the fix.
The documentation is not necessarily the inspired gospel!
Things change, exceptions and errors occur!
Please do not contradict what others have posted here without being certain
of your facts!

--> END FLAME <--

Of course, the advise to upgrade to 6.0.2 was good.
The overlapping ranges is most likely the problem.
I did not experience problems until around 1700 lines in location.conf.
The actual number of lines where it stops working properly is hard to nail
down.
It depends on the complexity of what you are configuring.
This limitation does not seem to be addressed in the 6.0.2 release.
I don't see any mention of it in the release notes.
Too bad they didn't fix the "N. America" and S. America" location containers
in the 6.0.2 release.
The fix is to edit the symbol registration file and remove the space before
"America".

(Haven't had my coffee yet)
Don Davis