Re: another NV security problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: another NV security problem
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:06:11 -0400
I would spend some time reading about NetView security in the Admin Guide.
On a previous append, you said you had problems and you were advised then
to use nvauth to login.

Once you login with a valid userid using nvauth, then you don't have to log
in again.
So if for example, if you issued as "root",
     nvauth admin SrAdmin <paswd>
 so that you could execute nvsec_admin, then the UNIX userid "root" in that
window has already identified itself to NetView as having the privledges of
the NetView id "admin", and it will not be prompted again in that same
command window.  So starting the GUI from there will not generate a prompt.

You would have to use a different command window to be required to login
again, or you could use nvauth to logout, and then you would be prompted
again.

To answer your question about activating security, you can do that with
/usr/OV/install/tools/secutil .
Use the -tell option to see whether it is ON or OFF, and use the -on option
to turn it on, the -off option to turn it off.

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT