Re: RE: command line interface

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: RE: command line interface
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 23 Aug 2001 03:56:53 -0500
"Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ@banksa.com.au> writes:

> While the flamethrower is still fuelled up may I add my 2 cents
> worth (although coming from Australia it must be said our Pacific
> Peso ain't worth that much at present) and float the idea of being
> able to code rules through a text based means rather than having to
> use the GUI ruleset editor.
>
> I find that coding a complicated rule using the GUI is extremely
> cumbersome and time consuming, especially in my situation where the
> NV box is on one side of the country and I am in another state and
> controlling it via an X-Windows session across a 2Mb link.
>
> A "conventional" programming language seems to me a much more
> logical method of creating such rules. I am aware that it is
> theoretically possible to do this at present but, in reality, the
> complexity of the text files generated by the GUI rulebuilder is
> such that it is impractival to do so.
>
> Just an idea to improve the product.

And not a new one.  The Tivoli product manager has been aware of
several requests to document the ruleset language in such a way to
make this feasible.  However, this has never bubbled to the top of the
priority list somehow.

How do the commoners manage to get anything into the Tivoli
enhancement database anyway?