Solaris 2.8 and MLM 5.0.4

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Solaris 2.8 and MLM 5.0.4
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 19:38:13 +0100
I have NetView 6.0.2 on Solaris 2.8 (including documented solaris 2.8
kernel patch).  I know there are some issues with MLM from the 6.0.2 CD
so I have installed the MLM off the NetView 6.0.1 CD.

I need to run on better community names than public for read and private
for write so I changed these before installing MLM or customising C5d
and SNMP GETs worked fine (SETs didn't though......).

The MLM install goes fine (once you realise that the remote install
script does an ftp under the covers as root and, by default, root on
Solaris cannot log in with ftp - change /etc/ftpusers and take out
root).

All sorts of flakiness then ensued with the basic snmpdx SEA daemon.
Sometimes it responds; sometimes it doesn't.

Eventually I went through all the config files in /etc/snmpd/conf and
made sure they were all back with read community public and write
community private.  Also ensured NetView agreed on these community
names.  Basic snmpdx seems better on answering SNMP GETs.

Tried to configure C5d - it ends with signal 10 and core dumps. Every
time.  Whenever you try to start C5d.

I believe I have all the SEA config files right back where they were and
I have de-installed MLM.  Strange thing is that I have another identical
hardware/software box that has never had it's community names hacked and
C5d comes up fine.

Does this ring any bells with anyone????  I know with repeatable core
files, this is a job for support but I have a class to teach MLM to
tomorrow so any quick fixes would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jane
--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant & Instructor
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565