Réf. : Re: Seed.File

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Réf. : Re: Seed.File
From: junior@ssss.gouv.qc.ca
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 22:18:47 -0400

Thank's Laslie,

You answer to my question

Pierre Racine
Quebec City

"Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com> le 08/25/2001 10:13:05 AM

Veuillez répondre à IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l@tkg.com>

Pour :    IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l@tkg.com>
cc :   (ccc : Pierre Jr Racine/Sogique/SSSS)

Objet :   Re: [NV-L] Seed.File

Pierre, you may need to clarify your question a little bit. What else is
in your seedfile, if anything?

As a guideline, it is best to include rules in your seedfile that allow the
(re-)discovery of whatever you have already discovered and would
want to rediscover if you had to delete it for any reason.

If you are going to add an address for a new router, it is not necessary
to use the OID record. You only need one address entry for a router.
But perhaps you want the new routers to show up automatically? The
OID record would allow that, but not prevent any other discovery.

If you do use an OID record, you will find that small 'stub' objects are
added to the database to represent all of the nodes it finds which do
NOT meet that criteria. Netview will then check those stubs daily to
see if they have turned into something with that OID. This can cause
a huge object count, and periodic degradation of performance.
The thing to do, if you add positve OID records, is to restrict the
overall discovery as much as possible with negative address ranges.
For instance, exclude your DHCP ranges.

If this does not answer your question, please ask again.

Detroit

                    junior@ssss.go
                    uv.qc.ca             To:     nv-l@tkg.com
                    Sent by:             cc:
                    owner-nv-l@tkg       Subject:     [NV-L] Seed.File
                    .com

                    08/24/01 02:15
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to IBM NetView
                    Discussion

Hi!

I Have a question about the creation of the seed.file.  I have discover all
my
nodes  and I aonly want to discover (new nodes) the new routers. It is
possbile
to include the OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.9 with the Ip Adresse ine the seed file?

Thank's

Pierre Racine
Quebec City