Re: [NV]xnmbrowser process hanging

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [NV]xnmbrowser process hanging
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:04:18 +0100
Bill,
I have seen the same on Solaris 2.8 and NV 6.0.2.  I thought this was supposed
to be fixed in 6.0.2 but I saw it several times last week.  I don't currently
have access to the same system but I was beginning to suspect that xnmbrowser
hangs were associated with bad community names sent to SEA 1.0.3 - particularly
SNMP SETs.

I found an append from Leslie that suggested you add the "-f 0" option to the
line in /etc/init.d/init.snmpdx that starts up mibiisa - it seems to be
undocumented but it is to prevent snmpdx killing mibiisa on a bad community
name.  I didn't get to do much testing but my perception was that xnmbrowser was
much more reliable when I added this.

6.0.2 DOES seem to have fixed the problem whereby if xnmbrowser hangs it writes
umpteen lines to nv6000.log and blows your filesystem eventually.

If you have time to test this theory, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,
Jane

--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant & Instructor
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565